Before rushing to a cosmetic dentist in Manchester to seek help for your sensitive teeth, first, have an idea of what might be causing it and how it might need to be treated. This could avoid you spending money fixing something that could have been done by changing your toothpaste. It can be annoying not being able to bite anything cold or drink anything hot, so make changes now to your dental hygiene routine and improve the sensitivity of your teeth today.
Reasons For Sensitivity
The reasons for sensitivity could include many things but the most common causes for an increase in sensitivity or even pain include:
- Teeth whitening, which can cause some hypersensitivity in the days following the procedure
- Fractured teeth
- Tooth decay or cavities
- Worn Fillings
- Tooth root exposed
- Gum disease
- Worn tooth enamel
Some of these reasons can actually be treated without the need for a cosmetic dentist in Manchester, but for some, you will absolutely need to speak to a specialist dentist.
How Sensitivity Works
Sensitivity is usually the result of some form of mild damage to the tooth enamel- the protective hard layer of the tooth. When this protective coating is worn away even slightly, it allows hot/cold/acidic food and drinks to affect the nerve endings inside the tooth.
How A Cosmetic Dentist In Manchester Would Treat Sensitive Teeth
Sensitive teeth can be helped in a number of ways both at home or by visiting a cosmetic dentist in Manchester. These include:
- Desensitizing toothpaste: ‘As Seen On TV’, there are so many of these available on the market right now. Designed for prolonged use, the toothpaste will contain mild compounds which block the transmission of the sensation from the weakened surface of the tooth to the nerve ending- reducing sensitivity.
- Gum graft: In extreme cases of gum disease where tissue has been lost or gums have receded, this surgical procedure will help to protect the nerves around the root and therein reduce
- Root canal: If the sensitivity has reached painful levels, and the tooth affected is extremely damaged, the dentist may recommend a root canal. This will extract the root and therefore nerves and the sensitivity problem will completely be eradicated.
- A crown or inlay: For this procedure, you will need to find a cosmetic dentist in Manchester. These processes will help to strengthen the tooth where there is a flaw or some decay which is causing the sensitivity in your tooth.
If sensitivity is mild, you should try a toothpaste first before seeking medical advice. In most cases, it is best to consult your cosmetic dentist in Manchester and find out which treatment is right for your symptoms.